Marketers! YouTube is the new cool
YouTube – The online video sharing platform was founded 14 years ago on February 14, 2005. Originally promoting the videos uploaded by the users including tutorials and vlogs, YouTube currently has more than 500 hours of video uploaded to the platform every minute.
YouTube had 27% of the internet users worldwide accessing it at least once a day in the fourth quarter of 2018. With this the net ad revenue of YouTube was estimated as 7.8 billion US dollars, and is projected to increase to 11.76 billion U.S. dollars in 2020. This has paved the way for YouTube in being recognised as one of the key players in advertising and digital marketing.
Also, the YouTube Partner Program allows the uploaders to monetize their content. It is a system based on AdSense where the uploader takes 55 percent of the ad revenue from the videos and the rest is claimed by YouTube.
As of September 2019, the top 10 channels with the most subscribers are listed as follows :
YouTube has also been continuously working on the revenue model to keep it free for the end users while also benefiting creators & businesses. YouTube allows advertisers to place ads while their potential audience watch or search for videos on the platform. This acts as a powerful discovery & awareness platform for the customers considering the range of content available on it.
Currently, Youtube hosts variety of ads on them. Here are a few top ones :
- Display ads : Usually appears on the top right of the feature video. For videos playing with larger players, this ad may appear below the player.
- Overlay ads : Semi-transparent banner ads appearing on the lower portion of your video.
- Skippable video ads : Ads that allow viewers to skip ads after 5 seconds, if they choose. Inserted before, during, or after the main video.
- Non-skippable video ads : Ads that must be watched before your video can be viewed. These ads can appear before, during, or after the main video.
- Bumper ads : Non-skippable short video ads of up to 6 seconds that must be watched before your video can be viewed.
- Sponsored cards : Ads that display products featured in the video or similar ones.
- TrueView video discovery ads : Ads on YouTube search results and other pages. The ad unit consists of an image thumbnail and up to three lines of text.